Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Reflections in a desert place

I have just been away the Sinai region of Egypt.

There's alot of desert there. It was a daunting environment to drive through...so arid and bleak.

I've also been reading, as you do on holiday. I've been really loving a book called The Journey by Alister McGrath. It's a real and wise book about the Christian journey, and the different places and seasons you encounter on the journey. Here's a prayer in the book from Anselm of Canterbury, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1093;

I thirst for you, I hunger for you, I desire you, I sigh for you, I covet you:

I am like an orphan deprived of the presence of a very loving Father,

who, weeping and wailing, does not cease to cling to the dear face with all his whole heart....

All this I hold with unwaivering faith,

and weep over the hardship of exile,

hoping in the sole consolation of your coming,

ardently longing for the glorious contemplation of your face.

Richard

No comments: