Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Reflections on Transit Pilgrimage to Colchester

BIG thanks to Tina for these reflections (and encouragements) on the Transit Pilgrimage week;

"Travelling to Colchester I didn’t expect to change or experience God in a new way. Carla asked us to spend the weekend before we went praying about God really using the week to stretch us and change us, but I mostly forgot to do that.


Getting to Colchester and being so warmly welcomed into a community of people was just amazing. I felt like I had come from home to my home. At that moment I realize that if I really wanted this week to be all that it could be I really needed to plug in and dig deep. I spend sometime praying and really just getting my mind wrapped around the idea of surrendering my all to God.


I really was challenged by the way the community of believes would just pray in normal conversation. If we were talking about a problem or an issue or a praise, they had this gentle flow of moving horizontal conversation and making it a vertical one without missing a beat. It showed me how easy it is to really put prayer into everything. Having a conversation with God is as easy as having a conversation with a group of friends over a bowl full of noodles.


I also really loved getting to create two prayer rooms. One was for a group of kids that would be going to a CR8 workshop and the other was for one of the outreach ministries the Colchester Boiler Room is involved with called Street Pastors. Both were amazing times of using my creativity in worship. It really sticks out to me because as a Transit team we were able to work together on a project and go through all the phases of putting it together as well as participate in the end result.


Lastly, coming from a Boiler Community that has an established Boiler Room hubbed around a building I was impressed to learn that mobile Boiler Rooms have a quite and unique strength about them. I learned the importance of being willing to go to the people and not always focus on bringing the people to a Boiler Room.


Overall this pilgrimage week gave me a chance to draw nearer to God and explore the ways he wants me to join him in the plans he has. Learning the ease in which I can intertwine God into the conversations and relationships I have will be a lessons I carry with me the rest of my life.


I’ve also been very encouraged to explore new ways of engaging with people in my community that are not focused around buildings but are free and movable.


Richard and Katy Smith were amazing role models for me to see how practical Christ center communities can exist in normal, funny, everyday life!"

Transits students inspiring Colchester Boiler Room Community... :)
And now some of Richard's reflections;


"I found it good to share what God is doing here with new people, but also challenging to be open about the difficult bits and disappointing bits.


I found it inspiring and life giving to share time with the Transit students, who have dedicated this time to praying and serving God.


As Community, it was a good stretching step for us to take together to host the Transit students, as it required sharing the hosting and meals between 4 homes. I realised these daring steps together are important for mobile Communities, because it can be difficult to have an identity as a body together when the parts are separate.


I found it gave me new vision and ideas to hear stories and vision from Corringham."

No comments: